Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Christmas with Gamsol

I have been looking forward to this since I got these Clearly Besotted stamps. On these cards I have used some basic stamping, Gamsol, and... yes I am going to say and admit it, even say it out loud... my old Crayola pencil crayons. 
Supplies:




There are a few ways to use Gamsol, but I just kept it basic and got some good results with my Crayolas. Yes, the better the pencils the better results. One day soon I will get a better set , but for now I'm pleased with the results! 


First I started by playing around with the stamps and dies. The dies are solid so it's best to die cut first then stamp the image, I hold mine in place with some washi tape. The 110 lb card stock worked better as its smoother and could hold up against the Gamsol. I used my Memento tuxedo black to stamp as I wasn't sure how things would work the the Gamsol, and turns out Memento was perfect! I used the same process on all of the images I used. 


The image below was my first testing of the Gamsol and I had awesome results, but that's why it wasn't die cut first. I did die cut it out later, but it was really hard to line up being a solid die so it didn't cut very well. Thought I had it just perfect and... well... not the case, still adorable, but not what I had envisioned - live and learn! :)





Next was to add the colour. I didn't use the blending etc. that Gamsol is known for, instead I did my own thing. First was a thin/light coat of crayola - little to no pressure and just glide the pencil over the paper. I wasn't trying to be perfect but just getting coverage on the image. The areas where there should be some shading I went back and added a second layer. 
Once the image was coloured I applied the Gamsol, starting at the lightest colour and worked into the dark. It doesn't look like much in the above picture I took, but just wait! I love how the Gamsol blends out any pencil lines, and brightens the colour. 

Just look at the difference! It really makes the shading come out and come alive. Gamsol virtually erases all the pencil lines and gives a smooth even appearance. 

After this success, I then went and die cut then stamped one of each of the stamps from the set, coloured, and applied Gamsol. It soon turned into a little army ready for cards!

Once coloured and the army was prepared for crafting, I went back and added some Wink of Stella to the star on the trees, and to the whites of the hat on the bird and snowman, and then to the nose of the reindeer. Once that was set I did a second coat on the star then covered the star and noses with Glossy Accents. From my sample piece I learned to never use glossy accents then die cut, despite it being dry for over 24hours.  

Once the Glossy Accents was dried, I set to the task of matching my die cuts to papers. Next time I will choose papers first then colour to match. I just think that far a head and wanted to use my stamps... that's how things work with me. I used a variety of papers from DCWV and Recollections. 

To finish off the cards, I used various embossing folders from Sizzix, foam tape and some sequins on one of the cards. I also used the sentiments from the ornaments4Christmas set for banners to tie everything together. 

Here are the finished products!