Monday, September 15, 2014

Craft Room Tour

OK! So this is one of my favorite things to watch on YouTube... Craft room tours.
A wonderful way to get ideas on organization and storage.

Two of my favorite bloggers (Jennifer McGuire, and Sandy Allnock) have amazing custom craft rooms, yes I am a little jealous. One day I will have one of my own... one day...

...ok, back from the day dream...

Here is a glimpse at my current Craft room / Home office (yes, I work full time from home.) I should really call this a glimpse into my crafty world/life/organization tour... nah to long. 


I happened to have amazing timing when I took this picture. Normally the window doesn't get this much natural light. It's looking out over my deck, and under another deck (the joy of being on the second floor...) but I do have this huge lovely tree in the courtyard I get to look out at. It also helps block out the noise of the highway most of the year.




Here is my beautifully cleaned, never to been see like this again, craft room!

This room is an ever going work in progress, as are my storage solutions.  I have many more ideas, but this is where I'm at right now. Yes this second bedroom is on the small side, but it working just great. I wont go and show everything in every bin, or drawer, but I'll glance over whats in them. 

On the right is my work from home office tucked away in the big computer cabinet, right beside the door. The work that pays the bills, not the craft work I enjoy... On top of that right now I am storing my large wood stamps, my ribbon tree (a jewellery tree I got but I found it tarnished/reacted with some of the jewellery so I re-purposed it for some decoration with ribbon - not the most ideal or functional ribbon dispenser but hey! its cute, it works for now) and my large Sizzix dies. Lastly my Ottlite, I love that thing so much. It gives off a more natural sunlight vibe, love this specially for taking pix. It really fills the whole room for being such a small lamp. 

Beside my office I have my rolly-cart (given to me by my mom, no idea where she got it sorry. Though it does look like the ones you get from Micheal's) that my wireless printer sits on, as well as a little frog candle holder for those times I need a little relaxation. I LOVE this printer so far. I have yet to print photos (photo express here is cheaper and better quality than buying ink) but everything else is flawless.  And, what I got it for... IT PRINTS CARD STOCK. Can you tell I'm still excited by that?  





The coloured drawers hold mostly stickers (I was on a huge sticker craze when my mom first introduced me to scrapbooking.) some boarders and other embellishments. The bottom drawers hold my punches and all my card bases and envelopes. The top purple drawer, which is conveniently in reach of my desk, holds all my commonly used inks. Mainly Distress inks and others I reach for often, like my Memento tuxedo black for Copics, Versamark, etc.

I've always loved frogs, so I have frog slippers and a frog prince my best friend (Cookie) got me in Las Vegas hanging by my window when ever I need to smile. Then I have my little fan to keep air moving in the little room, its always to hot or to cold so that little floor fan keeps air moving and at the right temp. It's also great for when its super hot out and I need the fan on but cant have a tall or table fan as it would blow in my headset and all my papers around. The other side of my table is another lamp that has 3 bulbs and I can position which ever way I need for spot lighting, or work.

oh! and let's not forget my Adipose (from Doctor Who) and Sh-Amy from Big Bang Theory



My table is my glass top dining room table I got from Jysk shortly after I moved out. I love this table, it's huge but because of that I ended up taking it over for crafting in my living room. So I just moved it into the craft room (well, technically dad and brother did while mom and I talked organization and rearranging.)

The top of my desk I have my Ipod clock (awesome gift from my youngest brother) beside the large glass that I used for my frequently used tools like my wink of stella, QuickStik, glue pen, and scissors. Now for the baskets... I find these small inexpensive baskets help me stay organized and de-cluttered. Also I have my ranger craft mat on my desk, normally taped down so it doesn't shift as crafting. I just use painters or masking tape to keep it on the glass with out damaging the surface or either.  

I have a larger wire basket to hold my (moms) acrylic blocks and corner rounders - I have the little blue (sorry I don't know what size) Creative memories rounder and a fancy EK success corner punch. There is also a purple basket to hold my partly complete cards usually ones that just need a sentiment and off they go, the black  long basket which holds my pre-cut blank card fronts and water colour paper so I can grab and craft. The other side is card fronts I have partly started from left over ink on my craft mat or trial and error of products together that actually worked well.  Lastly, I keep a basket for my recent stamp/die purchases, or ones I am using on my current project. Since getting more in to the card making, and now blogging, I do keep my stamps in or with their original packaging so I know what product I used and where it was from. 


 

Tucked just under my desk is my Big Shot on a small side table that came in a set when I got my living room coffee table. There were 3 tables in total 2 taller and then this little small short one. I didn't have room in the living room once I got my air conditioner in place (I wouldn't survive in here getting the sun all day in the summer) so for a while it held a plant in my bedroom but now plays host to the big shot.




As dad and brother were moving my tables around, I was thinking hmm where am I going to store my Big Shot... on top of my computer desk is sturdy and has enough space but it is too high it would fall on me as I tried to get it down again(#short-girl-problems... I just used my first hashtag! my brothers would be so proud!!) so I got hit with this idea... the chair it was sitting on wouldn't work in the room but OH MY!! HEY!!! what about that little table... and there we go. its the perfect size to fit under the desk and I can drag it out easily as needed and the rest of the time time its tucked under the desk and out of the way. Perfect solution!! 


Ok, now for the most recent acquisition beside my desk. 
I got this 6 cube storage system from Bidwars (I don't have the official name, sorry. but I have seen it sold at places like Home Depot) and I used some cubes from Ikea for storage so items do go falling through the wire (trust me, it would happen)

The bottom 2 cubes are filled with my 12x12 page refills, 12x12 card stock and paper pads. The middle row black cube I keep all my smaller paper pads, some large almost full page scraps, and  my Christmas/winter 12x12 papers. The top row is one of my favorites! I got some magazine holders from Ikea, turned them sideways so the spine is facing down and use that to store my 8.5 x 11 card stocks. Sorted: white/black - neutrals - rainbow - patterns

They did fit the "proper" standing up way but it wasn't ideal for getting the card stock in/out and pulling the holder itself out isn't ideal either they are tucked in there tight they just fit. So having them spine down was perfect solution! 




On top of this rack I have my Fiskars cutter, but that usually ends up on my work desk I use it so much, and my most frequently reached for tools:

  • embossing powder, past and heat gun
  • glitters and swiffer sheets
  • double sided tape, foam tape
  • glue dots, tape runner, Xyron
  • glossy accents, multi medium,  liquid glue
  • a bunch of ink I got from my mom, baby wipes and stamp cleaner
  • random pens/pencils, rulers
  • paint brushes, gamsol and stubs
  • cutting mats, stamp pad, scoring board
  • buttons, sequins and googly eyes


I've probably missed lots of things but this place always changes anyways! yes, I have "acquired" a lot of stuff from my mom. I don't think she knows how much ;)

Ok, moving on to the rest of the room behind my desk.
In the cupboard... no I have not found Narnia in here (unfortunately) I have my scrapbooks - complete and empty, cook books, and jewellery making supplies. The top of this plays home to my cricut, jukebox, cartridges and some sizzix sizzlits sets. 
Were almost done!! I promise!!! I am considering making a video of this... hmm maybe the next time it's cleaned :)

Now the closet. This big scary place. Actually now that it's organized it's really not that bad. I do store more than scrap stuff in there but it is mostly boxes for my work PC in case anything needs to be shipped out for repair, and other boxes I may need to keep or couldn't part with yet.  

Lets start with the right side since this tour is going counter-clockwise anyways! I'll try and keep this part shorter and go into details later if some one asks. 



Top to bottom the boxes I can't part with yet. The bags are full of projects I haven't started to scrap yet. Mainly my Montreal and Germany trips. Tucked behind the wall is a small plastic drawer unit I have all my personal files in and things I don't use or access often like manuals (who reads them anyways?!) Then a crate full of extra computer parts (cords, keyboard, etc.) followed by all my tax stuff - yeah that icky stuff, but at least I know exactly where it is and its organized by year. I just spent half a day going through all the old bins and bags and folders cleaning and junking out all that kinda stuff and getting organized. Then I have some puzzles and board games in there as well. (YES!! I have Doctor Who monopoly and a few other versions though I seem to be the only one in the family that will ever play...)

The white rolly-cart is where I've been storing my Bling, some stamps that don't fit in/I havnt made room for yet in my binders. My super fancy ribbon drawer, extra stamp supplies (blending foams, extra colours...) a drawer of adhesive extras and lastly, there I keep my colouring mediums for now. I have some Crayolas (yes still experimenting with them until I can get a better set. They do work better than expected - hint hint at what is to come) and some Chalks and my small but growing Copic collection. Also my washi tapes, masking and painters tape, and my temporary adhesive for holding down stencils.

Oh and some pillows! You never know when you're going to need extra padding when sitting for long periods of time.


The left side is just as super exciting as the right!


We have some blank DVD and more boxes. Followed by my new shredder, some jewellery books and catalogs. And another basket of various things of my life I have found when cleaning out that I want to make a scrapbook of - like concert tickets, events I've been to or worked at. The next shelf are my binders. I have been using them to keep track of what I have in the way of stamps collections (mainly Stamps of life) my various inks. Dies and embossing folders are all in binders in here as well. (I will post later how I store those)

Next one down I have my 12x12 project bins that have all my pictures and papers picked out for the album I'm working on right now (Miami) also, one for my scraps. Beside them are... yup... More baskets!! these house my completed cards ready for craft fairs. Lastly is the blue bin which holds the things I use at craft fairs to display my jewellery - table cloths... that kinda fun stuff. 

And then there is the door and behind the door which is nothing special, nothing there... yet. 

So there we have it!! My first craft room tour in September 2014. 
I hope you enjoyed! Let me know if you have questions and I will most more details on anything