Thursday, October 9, 2014

Snow Drifts

I like to do things that are a bit out side the norm. This will either be an easier way of doing something... or much harder.

Today's card was harder than the "normal" way, but I love the effect I got. So it was worth the little bit of frustration! I was able to create some snow drifts using some Be Creative double sided tape and Glitter Ritz micro fine glitter.

Logic tells us - double sided tape. This is sticky. Lets put it on paper then use the other sticky side for glitter. 
This does give amazing results, that's cool and all... But I wanted something unique. 

I took the 4inch double sided tape, cut a section just a little wider than my card,then cut that section into hill shapes. No, it wasn't easy to not get the sticky side stuck to itself or me or anything else in reach, but its achievable. Once my hill was cut I stuck it on to my card, smoothed it out then went wild with the glitter! I used the micro fine in white, which gave me a very nice translucent look to the card. Repeating this process gave some cool dimension and layers to the card, but it ends up being flat. 



I ended up working backwards too, which I was actually really happy with in the end. I put my smallest hills, my medium, then the largest on top after, layering the double sided tape and glitter as I went. This locked in the smaller layers and the glitter, it also allowed the glitter to layer and being more opaque than translucent. The more layers I add to the hills the closer they look while the more translucent ones look farther away. 

I used the snowman stamp/dies from Clearly Besotted, coloured with Prismacolor and Gamsol,then added some Wink of Stella to the hat, scarf and mittens, and the Dee's Distinctively for the sentiment. I layered 4 die cuts of the sentiment from a sheet of blue card stock that were a close match the the background paper, then the 5th layer I used some shimmery card stock and glued them all together to add some dimension. And lastly popped up the snowman with some foam tape.

Here is the finished product:



Supplies: